Different industries make different products. There are primary industries and consumer industries.
Primary industries are industries that turn raw materials into other materials for other industries to use. For example: The metal industry uses different minerals to make sheets of metal, and other metallic products. The chemical industry uses chemicals to make soap, plastic and other materials.
Consumer industries are industries that make manufactured products to sell directly to consumers. For example: The food industry makes food products from cereals, fruit and vegetables. Breakfast cereal is a food industry product.
The motor industry uses raw materials like metals and plastics to make cars or motorbikes.
lunes, 26 de junio de 2017
lunes, 12 de junio de 2017
lunes, 5 de junio de 2017
There are some foods that you should eat only occasionally:
- Foods that contain a lot of sugar, such as sweets, some processed foods, cakes and fizzy drinks.
- Foods that contain a lot of fats of animal origin, such as bacon, butter, fatty meat, sausages and fatty cheeses.
- Generally, fresh, home-cooked meals are healthier than processed foods.
Foods you should eat every day
- Cereals, bread, pasta and potatoes give you energy. You should eat foods from this group every day. Wholegrain foods are healthier because they contain fibre.
- You should eat three pieces of fruit every day.
- You should have vegetables for lunch and dinner.
- You should drink at least two glasses of milk, or eat yoghurt or low fat cheese every day.
- Proteins in fish, meat, eggs and pulses are very important, too. You should eat some of these foods for lunch and dinner. You should eat as much fish as meat. Chicken contains less fat than red meats.
- A small amount of oil, especially olive oil, is recommended in a healthy diet.
- You should drink water every day.
martes, 30 de mayo de 2017
domingo, 28 de mayo de 2017
In the primary sector, workers obtain raw materials from natural resources, for example, products from plants, animals and the soil. The primary sector includes jobs in crop farming, animal farming and fishing.
Crop farming is the activity of growing plants to obtain different products. These products are called crops. Most crops are grown for food, for example, cereals, fruit and vegetables. Others are grown for clothing, such as hemp and cotton.
Farm animals are called livestock. Farmers breed animals for their meat, milk, eggs or skins.
There are two types of animal farming:
- Extensive farming. Animals live in the open and eat grass from the fields, or grain.
- Intensive farming. Animals live fenced in on farms or in barns. Farmers give them hay or dry feed to eat.
Fishermen catch fish and shellfish in rivers and seas. There are two types of sea fishing:
- Coastal fishing. Fishermen fish near the coast. They go out to sea in small fishing boats and use nets.
- Deep-sea fishing. Fishermen fish a long way from the coast. They go out to sea in big boats with modern machines. Deep-sea fishing boats have refrigerators that keep the fish fresh.
Fish farms are places where farmers breed fish and shellfish. Fish farms are built near rivers or on the coast. There are some fish farms in our city.